Thursday 8 April 2010

On Building the Conscious of Others: An Interview with Nagat Ali

Nagat Ali was born in Cairo in 1975. She earned an MA cum laude for her thesis, "The Irony in the Short Stories of Yusuf Idriss", and is currently working on her PhD dissertation on "The narrator in the novels of Naguib Mahfouz". She has published two books of poetry, one of which, Cracked Wall, was awarded the Tangier Prize for Poetry in Morocco in 2009. A third book of poetry was published this year in Beirut. Her poems have been translated into English, French, German and Kurdish. Ali talks to Beirut39 about the influence of Dosteovsky, and on building the conscious of others.

You have a history of reading Egyptian literature. First, you studied the short stories of Yusef Idriss, and, today, the novels of Naguib Mahfouz. What did you come to understand?

In my opinion, there is no difference between creativity and criticism: both are dialogues that produce knowledge, and both pose perplexing questions about the conscious. When I study Irony in the stories by Yusuf Idris, I become preoccupied in trying to reach answers regarding issues of knowledge and beauty that matter to me (which writings of Yusuf Idris have triggered in me at a very young age, perhaps since I read one of his Short story collections A House of Flesh when I was 12.)

As I confessed before, regardless of the fact that I write poetry, not short stories, Yusuf Idriss was one of those who enriched my understanding of the world and pulled me into the world of writing with its endless questions; perhaps as much as Dostoevsky, Chekhov, Taha Hussein and Naguib Mahfouz. It was later on that I read Yahya Taher Abdullah, Amal Dunqul, and Mahmoud Darwish.

Also, I believe that reading Arabic literature, or international literature, widens one’s horizons. It makes us live unique experiences and various lives that we cannot experience in reality. Reading provides us with unredeemed feelings that charges one’s life with meaning and makes it more beautiful. Nietzsche used to say that he learned more from Dostoevsky’s writings than he ever did from any psychologist.

Do you like being in academia?

Personally, I dream of devoting my time to reading and writing, yet this is a far-fetched dream. I think that academia would be a more suitable option to me in the future after I am done with my doctorate degree. [A better option] then would be any other career that consumes my entire schedule and at the same time be far from creative writing, which I consider to be the most important aspect of my life. What’s exciting about academia is that you participate in building the conscious and knowledge of others who try to bring closer together literature and criticism.

How long have you been writing poetry?

I started writing early in life, perhaps during my first years. I think I was 9. I was trying to imitate my older brother who used to write short stories as he sat in his room for lengthy hours not talking to anyone. He really grabbed my attention, so I asked myself “what is the thing that deserves abandoning the world for?”

Of course, I started writing about things that I did not understand. Call it thoughts, perhaps obsessions, or questions about the truth behind death (which I experienced twice during my childhood when I lost my beloved aunt). Of course, as I grew older I became more aware about the concept of poetry and literature, things suddenly changed. I found that I leaned more towards writing poetry than short stories and fiction, which I could not find myself in (and both of which I attempted but soon abandoned).

In your poem Glass Tombs, you write of your expeditions in the cemetery with much enthusiasm. What is it about the dead, or death, that forms this ritual in the life of the narrator?

Of course those expeditions, as you named them, were metaphorical and not real, just like the title of the poem which is probably a metaphor for my thoughts as I wrote the poem, or a metaphor for the “thoughts” of the poem itself after it separated itself from me and became the property of other’s interpretations.

By the way, what you called “enthusiasm”, I call sarcasm: a rhetorical mechanism used in writing that allows a writer to stand at a distance from things and relationships in order to see it more deeply and from many different angles. Sometimes it is used by a writer to get their revenge of everything they cannot defeat in reality. Philosophers used it as well. Socrates employed it, for instance, as a weapon again his opponents during his debates (for vengeance).

Personally, as I wrote this poem specifically, I experienced a deep desire to demolish or question all “givens” that I once took for granted, assuming they are unquestionable realities. Suddenly, I found that I do not treat as sacred any specific education I acquired or any aesthetic argument in particular.

One of your poems was dedicated to Naguib Mahfouz. What was it about his story The Beggar that compelled you to write your poem (which, incidentally, has the same title as the book)?

Perhaps the worst thing is for a poet to speak about his poetry or to find himself obligated to interpret them, because this will certainly spoil the beauty of it. My opinions might pose a definite argument in the mind of the reader who now is the sole proprietor of my poem. Also, because I believe that in literature it is not about intention, and that the writer is probably the worst to talk about his own works. Dostoevsky himself, a unique genius, was stigmatized with superficiality once he spoke about his own works.

Anyhow, I can say that I admired the character of “Omar al-Hamzawi”, the protagonist in the story, The Begger, by Naguib Mahfouz. I found resemblance between him and the character of my poem (which I described as a delinquent teenager). Basically, both suffer an existential crisis. Not being able to find definite answers about the perplexing questions regarding life and death. Ultimately, desperation and uncertainty lead both to escape into the arms of numerous women: seeking desire and certainty to no avail.

Will this be your first time in Beirut? The Festival is in a couple of weeks. What are you anticipating?

To me, this is going to be my first time in Beirut. It is a chance I have always awaited to visit the magical Beirut and to meet Lebanese poets whom I admire and are friends with some of. Beirut39 will be held during the next few days. It will be extremely important and a great chance for the participants. About 50 different cultural activities (aside from discussions) will take place at different venues in the city such as libraries, bookshops, cafés, schools and universities…etc. This will give us a chance to meet readers and engage in discussions with them. I am curious to know their opinions and get their reactions regarding our writings directly. Also, we will get to meet other young writers like us from the Arab World who we only know through their writings or through the internet.


ولدت الشاعرة و المفكرة نجاة على في القاهرة في العام 1975. حصلت على درجة الماجستير بإمتياز لإطروحتها "المفارقات في قصص يوسف إدريس القصيرة". تعمل حاليا على أطروحة الدكتوراة "الراوي في روايات نجيب محفوظ". نشرت حتى الآن ثلاثة دواوين شعر حظي أحداهما, حائط مشقوق, بجائزة طنجة للشعر في المغرب للعام 2009 و هو ما إعتبره البعض إستكمالا لديوانها الأول كائن خرافي غايته الثرثرة. كما و قد قامت بنشر ديوانها الثالث مثلَ شفرةِ سكّين في بيروت هذا العام. تُرجمت قصائد الشاعرة الى الإنجليزية و الفرنسية و الالمانية و الكردية. تحدثنا الشاعرة في بيروت39 حول أثر دوستويفسكي عليها و حول بناء وعي الآخرين.

لديك تاريخ في قراءة الادب المصري. أولا, درست قصص يوسف إدريس القصيرة, و اليوم انتقلتِ لتمحيص أدب نجيب محفوظ. ما الذي أدركته خلال هذه التجربة؟

لا يوجد في تصوري فرق بين الإبداع والنقد، فكلاهما خطاب ينتج معرفة. وكلاهما يطرح أسئلة الوعي المؤرقة, فحين أدرس مثلا المفارقة Irony"" في قصص يوسف إدريس فلابد أنني سأكون مشغولة على الأقل بالوصول إلى إجابات عن أسئلة معرفية وجمالية تخصني ربما أثارتها كتابات إدريس لدي منذ وقت مبكر منذ أن قرأت إحدى مجموعاته القصصية "بيت من لحم" وأنا في الثانية عشرة من عمري.

و كما اعترفت من قبل- رغم أنني أكتب الشعر لا القصة القصيرة- بأن يوسف إدريس كان واحدا من الذين أثروا في وعيي بالعالم وجروني إلى عالم الكتابة وأسئلتها التي لا تنتهي - ربما بدرجة لا تقل أهمية عن ديستوفسكي وتشيكوف وطه حسين ونجيب محفوظ و يحيي الطاهر عبد الله وأمل دنقل ومحمود درويش وسواهم ممن قرأتهم فيما بعد.

أظن أن قراءة العربي أو الأدب العالمي - بشكل عام - يوسع من عالمنا ويجعلنا نحيا تجارب فريدة وحيوات متعددة ربما لا يمكننا أن نخوضها في الواقع, ويزودنا كذلك بإحساسات لا تعوض ,تجعل العالم الحقيقي أشحن بالمعنى وأجمل,و دائما ما أتذكر مقولة نيتشه عن دويستوفسكي بأنه تعلم منه ما يفوق ما تعلمه من أي عالم نفس.

هل تروقك حياتك الاكاديمية؟

أنا شخصيا أحلم بأن أتفرغ لكتابتي وللقراءة فقط, لكنه حلم بعيد المنال ,

و أعتقد أن العمل الأكاديمي ربما سيكون الأنسب بالنسبة إلى في المستقبل بعد إنهاء رسالة الدكتوراه من أي عمل آخر أو أي وظيفة تلتهم وقتي كله وتكون بعيدة الصلة عن الكتابة الإبداعية التي أعتبرها أهم شيء في حياتي .,وأظن أن العمل الأكاديمي به متعة أنك تشارك في بناء عقل ووعي آخرين يحاولون مقاربة علم الأدب والنقد.

منذ متى و انت تكتبين الشعر؟

لقد بدأت الكتابة مبكرا ربما منذ سنوات الطفولة الأولي .أظن بداياتي حينما كنت في التاسعة من عمري,وفكرت أن أقلد أخي الكبير الذي كان يكتب القصص القصيرة ويجلس في غرفته وحيدا لساعات طويلة لا يكلمنا ,منظره كان لافتا لي فعلا ,فكنت أسأل نفسى "ما هو الشيء الذي يستحق أن نترك العالم و نعتزل الآخرين من أجله؟".

وطبعا بدأت أكتب أشياء لا أعرفها , ربما تكون خواطر ربما تكون هواجس أو أسئلة عن ماهية الموت الذي تعرضت له مرتين في طفولتي وخطف مني بعد ذلك عمتي التي كنت أحبها ,بالتأكيد بعدما كبرت وازددت وعيا

بمفاهيم الشعر والكتابة الأدبية اختلف الأمر,ووجدتني أميل لكتابة الشعر أكثر من القصة والرواية التي كنت جربت الكتابة فيهما وتركتهما, لأني لم أجد نفسي فيهما.

في قصيدتك قبور زجاجية, تكتبين عن جولاتك في المقبرة بشيء من الحماس. ما الشيء في الموتى او الموت الذي يبعث بهذا الشعور في الراوي؟

بالتأكيد هذه الجولات في القبور كما سميتها أنتِ هي جولات بالمعنى المجازي لا الحقيقي , تماما مثل اسم القصيدة ,التي ربما تكون استعارة محتملة لأشياء كثيرة منه ما قصدته أنا حينما كنت أكتب هذه القصيدة , ومنها ما قصدته القصيدة نفسها بعدما انفصلت عني وصارت ملكا لتأويل الآخرين.

و بالمناسبة ما تسميه أنتِ "حماس" داخل القصيدة أسميه أنا سخرية , وهي آلية بلاغية في الكتابة تسمح للمبدع بأن يقف على مسافة من الأشياء والعلاقات حتى يستطيع رؤيتها بعمق ومن زوايا متعددة ., وأحيانا يستخدمها الكاتب للانتقام من كل ما لا يستطيع هزيمته في الواقع , الفلاسفة أيضا استخدموها , سقراط لجأ إليها - على سبيل المثال- واتخذها كسلاح ضد خصومه في جداله لينتقم منهم .

أنا شخصيا انتابتني رغبة عارمة أثناء كتابة هذه القصيدة- تحديدا -في هدم أو ربما مساءلة كل المسلمات التي كنت أؤمن بها, وكنت أراها حقائق لا تقبل الشك, فإذ بي أجد نفسي الآن لا أميل إلى تقديس أية معارف تلقيتها أو مقولات جمالية بعينها.

أهديت إحدى قصائدك لنجيب محفوظ. ما هو الشيء في رواية الشحاذ الذي دفعك لتكتبي هاتيك القصيدة و التى حملت نفس عنوان رواية لنجيب محفوظ؟

ربما أسوأ شيء في نظري هو أن يتكلم شاعرعن شعره أو أن يضطر لتفسيره ,لأن هذا سوف يفسد جماله بالتأكيد, وآرائي ربما تشكل وصية ما على القارئ الذي أصبح النص ملكا له, و لأنني أيضا أؤمن أن الأعمال في الأدب ليست بالنيات,وأظن أن المبدع ربما كان أسوأ شخص يتحدث عن كتابته. دويستوفسكي نفسه, ذلك العبقري المتفرد كان يرمونه بالسطحية حين كان يتكلم عن أعماله العظمية.

على أية حال , من الممكن أن أقول إنني أغرمت بشخصية" عمر الحمزاوي" بطل رواية "الشحاذ” لنجيب محفوظ ووجدت أن ثمة تشابها بينها و بين الشخصية التي تتحدث عنها قصيدتي و الذي وصفته بـــ "الصعلوك المراهق". كلاهما يعاني من أزمة وجودية بالأساسلا يجد إجابة شافية عن أسئلته المؤرقة عن معنى الحياة والموت,وكلاهما ينتهي به أيضا اليأس وانعدام اليقين بالهرب إلى أحضان نساء متعددات, ينشد اللذة أو اليقين دون جدوى.

هل ستكون هذه المرة الأولى التي تزورين فيها بيروت؟ سيبدأ المهرجان في غضون أسبوعين, ما هي آمالك؟

وبالنسبة اليّ ستكون هذه هي الزيارة الاولى لبيروت وهي فرصة تمنيتها كثيرا لزيارة مدينة بيروت الساحرة , ولقاء أصدقائي الشعراء اللبنانين الذين أحبهم وتربطنى علاقة صداقة ببعضهم,.

و أعتقد ايضا أن مهرجان بيروت الذي سيقام خلال الأيام القليلة المقبلة سيكون مهما جدا وفرصة عظيمة لنا نحن المشاركين فيه. فهناك نحو 50 نشاطا ثقافيا سيقام في أماكن عدة في انحاء المدينة مثل المكتبات العامة، والمكتبات، والمقاهي، والجامعات والمدارس، وغيرها. الى جانب الحلقات النقاشية, و هو ما سوف يعطينا الفرصة للقاء القرّاء والنقاش معهم ومعرفة أفكارهم و ردود افعالهم تجاه كتابتنا بشكل مباشر,بالإضافة إلى أننا سوف نلتقى مع كتاب آخرين شباب مثلنا من العالم العربي الذين ربما لا نعرفهم إلا من خلال كتاباتهم أو عبر الإنترنت.


No comments:

Post a Comment